Monday, March 15, 2021

Published March 15, 2021 by with 0 comment

SOME STARTLING WORDS FROM ‘SIY’ SESSIONS

 

SIY is three years old in Bhutan. As the roll out touches civil servants, there are awe-inspiring moments of realizations about themselves. The RCSC has made a right decision to have SIY training for all civil servants. The participants are even asking if the roll out can be provided to Gewog officials, business people, armed forces and even monks. Everyone sees the need for such a empowering training for leadership




“This was one of the best trainings I ever had. As much as it was an awakening moments to what I believed in myself, it shattered my egocentricity surrounding what I thought was right and wrong beliefs in my behaviour.” An agriculture extension officer remarked, to conclude his SIY experience. He also said, “ I wish this training is given to village people as well in some form. It will help them manage themselves, their children and how they interact with others.”

If everyone is little more emotionally competent in how they live their live as a parent, neighbour, friend and civil servant, our community will be a happier space to call home. Many participants believe that SIY Training should be given to common citizen, particularly to those who are at leadership positions and those managing other people. 

“ Policemen and Desuup should be trained in SIY skills since they have to face crowd and manage people during tough moments. How well they manage themselves will give them more courage and clarity of purpose.” A forest officer shared, trusting that SIY is a key to actively using life skills to navigate through emotionally challenging situations. 

There were participants who broke down into tears during the session, mostly women than men. While in Gasa, a forester shared during the empathy practice session. He repented how thoughts he had been always right and that his wife had always been wrong. He had been holding resentment for having to look after two young children while also working. “ I was unhappy because I thought my happiness must come from others, from convenient situations.” We all think the same way. We are always seek happiness by getting angry, as if anger and hatred would bring happiness. It is wrong.

“ I used to yell at my colleagues when works did not go the way I wanted. My colleagues seem to become more careful at work. Only today, I realized that shouting was my failure to regulate emotions. The carefulness I appreciated in them was in fact their way of avoiding my temper. That wasn’t a respect at all.” This was one of the best revelation in the SIY training from a man in leadership position. 


“The more I was mindful on my breath the more thoughts seem to arise. I tried to calm down by focusing on my breath. While calming down seem to give peaceful space, I also realized past thoughts, hidden painful thoughts also comes up. I felt rather restless and hopeless.” An engineer reflected after the first day of practice, appearing despondent, yet curious. I replied to clarify and encourage him. “Sir, Trashi Deleg. This is a accomplishment you have made. Atleast you realized this much to begin with is a great beginning. Before, you weren’t aware how thoughts bubble up. And that some pent-up thoughts from past was arising is a natural outcome of this practice. You must notice and then let go.” He was happy about the whole experience.

An officer working in the traditional medicine cell at hospital said, “I think I should be more attentive to visitors coming to my chamber. I must ask them to seat when they enter and welcome. I wasn’t doing that, I was lost in works and thoughts.” He suggested that, if this training is given to all working people, private and corporate, services will be warmer and better.

A matron at a certain school became emotional as she stood up to share her feelings. She believed that other people around her cannot understand her life, and she didn’t talk to others about her broken marriage and painful experiences. “Today I gained confidence that people have a capacity to understand my feelings and I have underestimated my resources.”  She walked home stronger, and with optimism.


      edit

0 comments:

Post a Comment